YES I CAN (Youth Endeavoring to Success) Program
Y.E.S I Can Summer 2017 Program
Thank you for your interest in the Summer 2017 Y.E.S I can program.
Program Dates: July 31st- August 19th.
Registration is open.
Separately, please submit your high school transcripts and please have two instructors write a letter of recommendation, and SCAN AND EMAIL THOSE MATERIALS TO email@example.com.
Thank you, and we look forward to meeting you!
To enhance the academic skills of high school students in order to improve their likelihood of success in college, and ultimately in life. The program focuses on potential business, multimedia, engineering, and science careers, and includes basic to advanced Math, Science, and English/Language Arts instruction. The program targets students who have been identified by their school as having high potential, but who may not be motivated to pursue a post-high school degree, as well as targeting students who are on the fast track and/or taking college level courses. This combination of students with eclectic goals has proved highly effective since the inception of this unique program.
The college preparatory Y.E.S. I Can summer program will run three weeks in August at the UConn-Stamford campus. Students must plan on attending the entire three-week program. The Y.E.S. I Can program is a very selective program offered FREE to 25 high achieving students who are interested in pursuing careers in science, technology, engineering, math, business, mass-media/communications, law, and/or health care.
- Three week summer program with intensive SAT preparatory instruction in three core areas: Math, Science, and English/LA (Reading and Writing). More recently, the program has added a college readiness component.
- Program incorporates a myriad of field trips to various business/corporate sectors where students meet with highly esteemed professionals for presentations and exposures to the corporate world.
- A real world experience where students learn in college classrooms, using college level equipment and technology, and employ higher order thinking skills.
- An opportunity for students with differing backgrounds to socialize, network, and learn in an environment conducive to their learning styles, needs, and preferences.
- A place where students can work collaboratively with teaching professionals, dedicated personnel, and one another to establish education foundations as they progress through their high school years. Ultimately, the knowledge gained from SAT instruction greatly increases students’ performance on this very important test.
The Y.E.S. I Can Program is taught by certified instructors. The program focuses on expanding each student’s knowledge of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics – S.T.E.M. subjects. Students receive instruction on the verbal, math, science, and writing portions of the SAT. Students also take field trips to hone their professional and academic goals. Lastly, students go through a college readiness program that helps prepare them for the application and acceptance process.
FIELD TRIPS/ CAREER EXPLORATION
Each Wednesday, throughout the duration of the three-week program, students take field trips to various corporate sectors. Past field trips have included the following sites:
- Stamford Hospital
- ABC 7 Studios in NYC
- American Express Corporation in the financial district of NYC
- The United Nations in NYC
- Praxair Corporate Headquarters in Danbury, CT
- Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Connecticut Bank Commission
- Electric Boat
- The Bridgeport Post Newspaper
- The Federal Reserve Bank of NY
- People’s United Securities
- Project Oceanography
- Foxwoods Resort Casino/Lake of Isles Golf Resort